Pumpkin is undeniably the flavour of autumn, showing up in all our favourite treats just as the nights are getting longer and the wind is getting brisker.
Whether you typically enjoy this versatile vegetable in savoury soups and stews or sweet cakes and lattes, you’re guaranteed to love the ultimate festive bake: a Whiskey Pumpkin Pie.
The classic American dessert may sound a little odd to us Brits, but one taste of this luxurious dessert is certain to win you over. A combination of soft pumpkin purée, sugar, cream, and warming spices served up in a buttery shortcrust pastry makes a truly satisfying pie that is perfect for finishing off seasonal dinner parties.
Of course, we at VIP Bottles have decided to upgrade this traditional pudding with a generous dash of whiskey. In keeping with pumpkin pie’s American roots, it’s best to use a good bourbon for your bake.
Buffalo Trace Kentucky Whiskey and Four Roses Bourbon Whiskey would be great choices, or you could even opt for a flavoured spirit such as Jim Beam Honey Whiskey Liqueur and Fireball Cinnamon Liqueur for an extra bit of oomph.
We’ve included the recipe for the pie crust below, but feel free to skip this section and use a ready-made roll of shortcrust pastry.
And if you’re a true pumpkin spice fanatic, make sure you enjoy your Whiskey Pumpkin Pie alongside a glass of Mozart Pumpkin Spice Liqueur to really get into that festive feeling.
- 100g butter
- 180g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2-4 tbsp water
- 1 egg white
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 1 can tinned pumpkin
- 100 ml bourbon whiskey
- 150 g granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 200 ml heavy cream
- 80 ml sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Begin by beating together the butter, flour, sugar, and salt to create a dry mixture
- Stir in 1 tbsp of water at a time until the dough just combines
- Gather the dough into a ball and firmly wrap in clingfilm
- Roll out the plastic-wrapped dough until 1-inch thick and place in the fridge for around 1 hour
- Once the dough has chilled, remove it from the fridge and let it sit for 10 minutes
- Cover your work surface on flour, unwrap the dough from the clingfilm, and roll it out into a ¼-inch thick disk
- Place the rolled-out dough into your pie dish, flattening it against the base and sides to ensure a perfect fit. Trim edges if necessary
- Place the pie dish into the freezer until frozen solid
- Once frozen, remove from the freezer and preheat the oven to 180°C
- Cover the pastry with a layer of foil and fill the dish with ceramic baking beans or rice
- Put the pastry dish on a baking try and bake for 20 minutes
- While baking, create an egg wash by whisking 1 egg white until it is light and fluffy
- Take the pastry from the oven and carefully remove the baking beans and foil
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash and return to the oven for a final 5 minutes. After 5 mins, remove from the oven and ensure the pastry is completely cool before adding the filling
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Mix the canned pumpkin mixture with the sugar, double cream, and sour cream
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well
- Add the whiskey, vanilla extract, and dry seasonings, and give the mixture a final stir
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pastry case, spread to create a smooth surface, and place in the oven for around 45 mins or until the edges of the filling is firm but the centre is still ever so slightly soft
- Leave the pie to cool and serve up with a dollop of whipped cream