The Black Daiquiri cocktail is a great Tiki twist on a classic, loved by bartenders and also delightfully easy to make at home.
There are endless variations on the basic Daiquiri recipe: strawberry, raspberry, banana, grapefruit – the list goes on and on. Unlike many of these super sweet, super fruity options, the Black Daiquiri takes a more stripped back approach. By subtly adjusting some traditional ingredients, this rum cocktail emerges with a superbly dark and intriguing palate.
The first alteration involves swapping out a white rum base for an Aged Dark Rum. Bearing a significant degree more depth and complexity than clear spirits, a Dark Rum Daiquiri offers an incredibly satisfying palate that is enriched with sweetness and spice. Bottles like Havana Club Anejo 7 Year Old Rum, Bacardi Reserva Ocho, and Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva Rum are perfect options for creating your blend.
Next, you’ll want to use a Demerara sugar syrup. Simple syrups are typically made from granulated sugar and offer a very neutral sweetness, whereas a Demerara mix will imbue your drink with a luxuriously rich edge of caramel and toffee. This nutty sweetness makes the ideal pairing for smoky dark rum and a refreshing edge of lime citrus, coming together to create a simple but exquisite Black Daiquiri.
Demerara Sugar Syrup Recipe
- 100g Demerara Sugar
- 100g Water
- Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan
- Simmer at medium heat, stirring regularly until the sugar is completely dissolved
- Leave the syrup to cool before storing in a sealable container
Black Daiquiri Recipe
- 50ml Aged Dark Rum
- 25ml Demerara Sugar Syrup
- 25ml Lime Juice
- Lime Wedge, to garnish
- Add the rum, sugar, syrup, lime juice, and a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker and shake thoroughly
- Strain into a chilled Coupe glass and garnish with a thick wedge of lime