As it is officially sweater weather, nothing is cosier than snuggling up by the fireplace with a thick knitted blanket and sipping on a mug of hot cocoa.
Now, imagine that amazing cup of chocolate upgraded with a boozy beverage!
Our mixologists at VIP Bottles have created a list of 11 Boozy Hot Chocolate recipes, each with a unique and festive twist on the classic cuppa.
We like Choc-a-LOT ☕️
For all these cocktails you will need a stirrer, a sweetener of your choice (if needed), your favourite festive mug and of course – milk!
We recommend indulgent full-fat milk for these recipes, but plant-based milk alternatives including oat and almond milk will also work well.
Salted Caramel Classic
Start things off nice and simple – chocolate + salted caramel = pure perfection!
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Chocolate Powder
- 25ml Baileys Salted Caramel
- Stroopwafel Caramel Wafer
- Heat the milk gently on your stove on a medium heat.
- Add the cocoa powder to the hot milk, stir through and pour into your mug.
- Add 25ml of Baileys Salted Caramel
- Top the mug with a Stroopwafel Caramel Wafer
Coffee and chocolate are a classic combination. For those who like a milky mocha this one’s for you! We chose Black Tears rum for this for its notes of coffee, chocolate and chilli.
- 1 tablespoon Hot Chocolate Powder
- 25ml Black Tears Rum
- Fresh Espresso Shot
- Grated Chocolate Shavings
- Heat the milk on a medium heat for five minutes
- Blend the hot chocolate powder into the espresso shot and add to the heated milk
- Finally stir in the Black Tears Rum for a blended finish
- Pour into your mug and decorate with milk chocolate gratings.
Like the mocha cocktail but with a creamier finish, this hot chocolate expression uses Kahlua to add that fresh coffee kick.
- 1 tablespoon Hot Chocolate Powder
- 15ml Stoli Vanilla Vodka
- 15ml Kahlua Liqueur
- Love Cocoa Espresso Martini Coffee Beans
- After gently heating your milk, stir in the hot chocolate powder
- Stir in the vanilla vodka and Kahlua liqueur and pour into your mug
- Garnish with 3 Love Cocoa Coffee Beans for that espresso martini look.
Chocolate & Vanilla
Some say vanilla means bland, but we beg to differ. Our take on a vanilla hot chocolate will impress your tastebuds like no other by changing things up with white chocolate powder.
- 1 tablespoon of Love Cocoa White Hot Chocolate Powder
- 25ml Tuaca Vanilla Liqueur
- 10ml Giffard Vanilla Syrup
- Whipped cream
- Add the white hot chocolate powder.
- Mix the Tuaca liqueur and Giffard Syrup into a mug of hot milk.
- Stir in the mug and cover with the classic hot chocolate topping – loads of whipped cream!
Spice Spice Baby
We all love a bit of spiced rum. Now imagine it fused with sweet chocolate and butterscotch. This hot chocolate recipe does exactly that.
- Add all ingredients into a mug of hot milk and stir.
- Decorate by drizzling the top of mug with caramel syrup (optional).
Co-co Nuts for You
Bounty-ful in flavour, this coconut-centred expression adds a tropical feel to a classic cup of cocoa.
- Put the hot chocolate powder and Re’al Coconut Cream in the bottom of your mug.
- Pour in warmed milk and stir thoroughly.
- Blend in the Aluna Coconut Rum
- Coat the top of the mug with desiccated coconut trimmings.
Sugar and Spice
Nothing adds to the flavour of a winter warmer drink like some cinnamon spice! This cinnamon-based hot chocolate is your next boozy winter staple.
- 1 tablespoon of Hot Chocolate Powder
- 25ml Fireball Cinnamon Liqueur
- Whipped Cream
- Cinnamon Powder
- Add the hot milk to the cocoa powder and mix until smooth.
- Blend in the Fireball Cinnamon liqueur and you have a spicy hot chocolate!
- Garnish with a mountain of whipped cream and cinnamon powder on top.
Toffee or Not Toffee
This recipe tastes like a chocolate éclair but in a magical liquid potion. Toffee and chocolate just go hand in hand.
- Decorate the inside of the mug by drizzling caramel syrup across the bottom.
- Blend the hot chocolate powder into warmed up milk and then add the Tofka vodka for a cup of toffee heaven.
Jaffa Cake Craze
You know the feeling of starting out with one Jaffa Cake and before you know it, the whole packet is empty. Well, you can fill the void with this Jaffa-Inspired hot chocolate
- Mix the Love Cocoa Orange Hot Chocolate with a cup of warmed milk and then pour in the Jaffa cake rum.
- Keep a few Jaffa cakes on the side to munch on whilst you sip on your new favourite drink.
Orange Is The New Snack
Like the Jaffa Cake edition but with rum at its core. This hot chocolate is guaranteed to be your new favourite.
- 1 Tablespoon of Love Cocoa Orange Hot Chocolate
- 25ml Companero Ron Elixir Orange Rum
- Terry’s Chocolate Orange Slices
- Grab your mug, make the hot chocolate with warmed milk, and blend in the Companero Ron Elixir Orange Rum.
- For an added touch, layer some whipped cream on top and a slice of Terry’s Chocolate Orange.
Finally, try this mint chocolate twist on a boozy hot chocolate.
- 1 tablespoon of Love Cocoa White Hot Chocolate
- 15ml Gabriel Boudier Crème De Menthe
- 10ml Mozart Chocolate Liqueur
- Peppermint Candy Cane
- Mix the chocolate powder with hot milk and chocolate liqueur. Blend until creamy and add in the Gabriel Boudier Crème De Menthe.
- Garnish with a peppermint candy cane for the full festive feel.