Ever wondered how a Red Velvet Cupcake would taste with vodka? We have been busy in the kitchen trying different vodkas to create the most awesome cupcakes infused with this delectable spirit. After much testing we came up with Zing Red Velvet Cupcakes, keep reading to find out how:
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp red food colouring
- 1 tsp Zing Red Velvet vodka
- ½ cup buttermilk
You will also need the following for the cream cheese frosting:
- 115g butter
- 115g cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Zing Red Velvet vodka
Now lets get baking:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- On medium-high speed, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Turn the mixer to high and add the egg. Scrape down the bowl and beat until well incorporated.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, Zing Red Velvet vodka and red food colouring to make a thick paste. Add to the batter and mix on medium speed until completely combined.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add half of the buttermilk. Add half of the flour and mix until combined. Scrape the bowl and repeat the process with the remaining milk and flour. Beat on high until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a thin knife or skewer inserted into the centre of the largest cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then remove cupcakes from the pan and place them on a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Using the whisk attachment, whip the butter and cream cheese on high speed for about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar until all is incorporated. Add the Zing Red Velvet vodka and mix to combine. Increase the speed to medium high and whip for a few minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as necessary.