We are now getting to the peak summer period, the kids are almost ready to be off from school, #merkyfest has just shelled down Ibiza Rocks and we are still reeling off the onslaught of music festivals all around the country.
As we continue to enjoy the summer sun, we also need to make sure our cups are full with the most refreshing and exciting drinks of the season. We have put together our top 5 cocktail recipes to help transport you to whichever part of the world defines summer bliss.
- Dark & Stormy
No, we are not describing your perfect man, in fact, this is probably one of our favourite cocktails for the summer. Straight from the Caribbean to your table, this dark rum-based cocktail has all the ingredients for a good time.
- 55ml Bacardi Carta Negra
- 250ml ginger beer
- 10ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- Fill a tall glass with ice cubes
- Add rum, we recommend Captain Morgan’s Private Stock
- Pour in ginger beer and lime juice
- Stir with a bar spoon
- Garnish with a lime wedge and an umbrella if you have one to hand
- Watermelon Jalapeño Clicquot Rich
Something for those champagne lovers amongst us, this is a cocktail for those who love to dare. The sweetness of the watermelon complements the tangy kick of jalapeño which seems to bubble over nicely with the refreshing Veuve Clicquot champers.
- 5-6 large ice cubes
- 2-3 cubes of watermelon
- 2-3 slices of jalepeño
- 1 bottle of Veuve Clicquot Rich Rose
- Place 5 ice cubes in a large wine glass
- Add cubes of watermelon
- Sprinkle in jalapeño slices
- Top off with Veuve Clicquot Rich
- Whiskey Sour
Perhaps one of the most popular drinks in the world, the whiskey sour is equal parts perfect when it comes to a refreshing (but definitely strong) cocktail to enjoy in the heat. Another cocktail that looks to balance the sweet, the strong and the sour all in one go – expect your tastebuds to be satisfied.
- 50ml Wild Turkey American Honey Sting
- 25ml lemon juice
- 12ml sugar syrup
- 12ml egg white
- Cubed ice
- 1 cherry and an orange slice
- Combine bourbon, lemon juice, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker
- Fill shaker with ice, cover, and shake vigorously until outside of shaker is very cold, about 20 seconds
Strain cocktail through a Hawthorne strainer or a slotted spoon into an old-fashioned or rocks glass filled with ice
- Garnish with orange wheel and cherry
Calling all Sex and the City (and vodka) enthusiasts to the bar, this cocktail will be right up your street. Known as a good time in a glass, this mix of vodka, juice and triple sec is the party you have been waiting for. Shake things up this summer and swap your normal vodka for one of our exotic flavoured vodkas.
- 45ml Effen Blood Orange vodka
- 15ml triple sec
- 30ml cranberry juice
- 10ml lime juice
- Crushed Ice
- Orange zest, or a lime wedge on the rim of the glass
- Put plenty of ice and all of the ingredients into your shaker or stirring glass and shake or stir vigorously for about 20 second
- Strain the mix into a cocktail glass
- Cut a piece of orange peel about the size of your thumb (be careful not to bend it). Hold the piece of orange peel between finger and thumb over the glass, and use a match to gently warm it for about 20 second
- Then bend the peel so it releases oil onto the lighted match, igniting a flame that will settle on the surface of the drink
Want to look like the most sophisticated individual around? Look no further than a Negroni in your hand as the answer. The sweet yet bitter mix of Gin, Vermouth & Campari really makes this cocktail stand out as the simple answer to your summer drinking woes.
- 25ml Monkey 47 Gin
- 25ml Campari
- 25ml Vermouth rosso
- Add the ingredients together in a cocktail shaker
- Shake well with cracked ice
- Strain into a glass over cubed ice
- Garnish with a twist of orange peel.