Christmas is a time of wonder and magic; it’s a period where nothing can be too much. If anything, now’s the time to go all out and spoil your guests. Be the go-to host for any get-together, big or small, by throwing a Christmas dinner that no one will forget but everyone will use as an example of a perfect evening.
Winter-Spiced Pear Cocktail
This winter-spiced pear cocktail provides a light yet the warming end to a sumptuous dinner. Not too heavy for those who are ‘too full’ for dessert, but creamy and delightful enough to keep that post-gorge glow.
- 50ml The London No.1 Gin
- 25ml lemon
- 25ml pear syrup
- x1 egg white
- x4 pears, cored and cubed
- x1 star anise, plus more to serve
- x1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 250g caster sugar
- To make the spiced pear syrup, put the ingredients in a pan with 250ml water and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the flavours have infused. Leave to cool.
- To make the cocktail, put all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker without ice and shake vigorously. Open the shaker, fill with ice and shake again, then strain into a chilled coupe. Place a star anise on the foam to serve.
Christmas Cake Martini
Liquified Christmas cake; no need to bake means no fear of burning it in the oven and having to rush to Waitrose to buy one, passing it off as homemade.
- 50ml Crown Royal Special Reserve Whisky
- 5ml almond-flavoured sugar syrup
- 5ml cherry brandy
- 5ml ABK6 VSOP Cognac
- 5ml lime juice
- cherry to serve
- ground cinnamon to serve
- Put all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with some ice. Shake well and strain into a chilled martini glass. Decorate with a cinnamon-dusted cherry.
Cinnamon Butter Rum
Extremely decadent and only for those who can stomach luxury in a glass, this cinnamon butter rum is the tipple for everyone this season. Deliciously sweet, it is the perfect end to any dinner.
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- x2 small cinnamon sticks
- 200ml Kraken Black Spiced Rum
- Gently heat the butter, golden caster sugar and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Stir in the spiced rum, then pour into four small heatproof glasses to serve.