It’s that time of the month where we give our special VIP’s a boozy bake spectacular, this month we bring you ‘A Royal Apple Crumble’, infused with Crown Royal Apple whisky. There’s always room for apple crumble so why not treat your guests and your taste buds to this tasty treat, specially reserved for us adults.
- 575g Bramley apple (three medium-sized apples), peeled, cored and sliced to One cm thick
- Two tbsp golden caster sugar
- Two tbsp Crown Royal Apple
- 175g plain flour
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 110g cold butter
Topping ingredients (Optional):
- One tbsp demerara sugar
- Double cream, clotted cream, custard, ice cream to serve
Now let’s bake:
- Preheat the oven to 190°/ 170° fan/ gas mark five
- Toss 575g apples with two tbsp of golden caster sugar and two tbsp of Crown Royal Apple and then place into a 23cm round baking dish at least 5cm deep. Flatten down with your hands so that the base is evenly coated to prevent too much crumble falling through
- Put 175g plain flour and 110g golden caster sugar in a separate bowl a with a good pinch of salt
- Slice in 110g cold butter and rub the mixture together with your fingertips until the mixture looks like moist breadcrumbs. Shake the bowl and any big bits will come to the surface and then simply -rub them in till you have a breadcrumb-like consistency. Alternatively, pulse in a processor until a sandy like texture is achieved (don’t over process, however)
- Pour the crumb mix over the apples to form a pile in the centre, then use a fork to even out
- Gently press the surface with the back of the fork so the crumble holds together and goes crisp, then lightly drag the fork over the top for a decorative finish
- Set on a baking tray and put in the preheated oven for 35 -40 minutes, until the top is golden and the apples feel very soft when you insert a small sharp knife and finish by sprinkling some demerara sugar over the top. Leave too cool for 10 minutes before serving
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or custard or whipped cream
It’s really as simple as that. This delightful dessert makes a great after-dinner treat that is both warming in flavour and refreshingly crisp in the bite. For that extra VIP touch why not make a Crown Royal Apple cocktail and enjoy this royal treat, after all, you deserve it.
Shop Crown Royal Apple here.
Find the alcohol you need for this recipe (and more) on the VIP Bottles website today.